I did it! I made Quiche, including the crust, from scratch! I have always bought the store bought crust and just poured the filling in. The store bought crusts are so small that I figured out why the saying is "Real men don't eat quiche" They have to eat the whole thing, and that is just embarassingand impolite. But crust, flakey, buttery, yummy crust is INTIMIDATING. I looked up a recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking and was disapppointed to find that the recipe was with shortening. Just then I heard Boy Toy saying hello to his mom who makes the most delicious crust, with ease. I gave them the appropriate amount of time and then whispered. "Will you ask your mom if she can tell me her crust recipe?" So here it is....with the shortening converted to butter :) It ended up being easy peasy. I just went for it.2 Cups flour (I used whole wheat and it turned out great!)
1 tsp. salt
14 2/3 TBLS Butter
1/3 cup cold water
combine butter and flour and salt with a pastry knife, which if you don't know looks like this:

You can also use two knives. mix the butter and the flour until they are like small peas. Take a third cup of the mixture out and add water until you get a paste. mix the paste in with the rest of the flour mixture. Marcia recommended just taking your rings off washing your hands really well and just getting into it. But don't over work it! I was sure I had, cause I had a hard time getting it mushy enough to make the balls. This is recipe makes enough dough for 2 crusts. So make two balls. I then put them in the fridge while I made the filling which were a bunch of eggs from our chickens. 8 i think I ended up with...it was a deep dish quiche. Look out Paula Dean. I threw in some Feta and sundried tomatoes, and fresh spinach. 1 1/2 cups fresh, raw, cream, from the top of the milk jar, and Voila'!
I was so nervous to role out the dough and at first it seemed like it would crumble all apart, but miraculously it just rolle out thinner and thinner until it was large enough for the pan. I poured the filling in and sprinkled a 1/2 cup tillamook sharp cheddar on top. I had preheate the oven to 375, so I popped it in for about 45 min, although I checked it at 35 min. I took a picture of the crust, but was too hungry, and forgot to take a pic of the finished quiche, so you'll have to take my word for it, but it was a beaut and yum so delicious! And the best part is I have the other ballof crust dough in the freezer ready to go for next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment